Maybe not so much a secret anymore after this, but it's really too good NOT to share.
Most cake recipes call for beating the butter with sugar till pale, then adding eggs one at a time and beating after each addition. The last step usually involves folding in the flour.
This method however, calls for you to separate the eggs and making a meringue with the whites and sugar. The rest of the ingredients like butter, milk, essence etc are beaten separately. The Flour is then added a little at a time and beaten till lightly mixed in.
This is a common method used in making Chiffon Cakes but Mum uses it for all or most of her cakes, including the classic Butter Cake. With the uplifting fluffiness of the meringue, your butter cakes, or any other cakes for that matter, won't have any choice but to be light, spongy and joy to behold. Yum!
BEAT EGG WHITES TILL THEY TRANSFORM INTO A GLORIOUSLY LIGHT AND SWEET MERINGUE. STOP WHEN YOU REACH THE POINT OF SOFT PEAKS.
1) Beat Egg Whites till frothy, add sugar gradually, one tablespoon at a time.
2) Beat till you achieve Soft Peaks
BEAT ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS TOGETHER (EXCEPT FLOUR)
1) Remember to scrape down to ensure that everything is blended smoothly.
2) Beat till light and pale yellow.
ADD IN SIFTED FLOUR IN BATCHES
1) Add flour in batches, beating after every addition.
2) Do not overbeat. Just enough to have each batch slightly blended in.
3) Again, don't forget to scrape down the bowl.
4) By the end of this process, the flour should be well incorporated.
GENTLY FOLD IN MERINGUE IN BATCHES
1) First put about a couple of scoops of the meringue to lighten the batter mixture. You can stir the meringue in at this point. You don't need to properly fold it in.
2) Mix in meringue in batches, each timeusing the whisk to scrape the bottom of the bowl so as to incorporate the batter evenly.
3) Important point to note is that you MUST NOT overfold. Fold in each batch only until about 3/4 incorporated then add more meringue mixture.
** You can hear Mum's instructions in the background.
USING A SCRAPER, COMPLETE THE FOLING IN PROCESS.
1) Using a scraper, cut into the batter, scrapping up from the bottom and folding it over. Just follow Mum as in the video.
2) Fold with a gentle hand and do not overdo it as you don't want to lose the fluffiness from the meringue.
1) Pop it into the oven
2) And ENJOY !!
BON APETIT !!